[AJD] late B

Guy Fay fayguyma at execpc.com
Tue May 31 05:11:25 PDT 2005

Interesting about the Ad copy book!
I know on IH side, the less than steller President during the 1950s
(John McCaffrey) wanted to get into a planned obsolescence model, where
IH would ship new models ir raidically changed models out yearly or at
least more frequently. I've often wondered whether this was in response
to what Deere was doing. Let's take the M/Super M line for instance

Super M with larger engine, 1952.
Stage II Super M with live hydraulics, late 1952.
Super MTA Torque Amplifier and Live PTO, January, 1954.
Farmall 400, restyled and with Fast Hitch, late 1954
Farmall 450, larger engine and weight shift Fast Hitch two tone paint, 1956
Farmall 560, six cylinder engine, mid-1958.

The two tone paint was in response to Deere, probably the 560 increase
of horsepower at the last second that was harmful to the 560.

What happened, of course, in the 1950s, to IH, is that there were big
rushes to build inventory for those new models- factory working
overtime, etc. You had to clear the older models from the lots. WIth the
decline in the tractor market that happened after the end of the Korean
War, you ended up with inventory sitting around that wasn't the current
model, then layoffs at the factory when all that new production didn't
get sold because of the sales on the older models, and the decline in
the market. Kinda sounds like the same thing happened to Deere, only
less so due to some sanity in high places. Deere's better dealer
management started tightening down the screws on IH hard during this
time period.