[AJD] What a day - Galloping idle - Backfires

LeRoy Price lep at epix.net
Mon May 30 15:11:28 PDT 2005

Guys,

Well the plan was to get the tractors running today and a thunder shower stopped me at 6Pm.  Anyway, I did get to start and rung the JD BO.  It ran well.

I then got my stuff together in a wheel barrow and off to the field I went (tools, 3 batteries, gas can, a carb and the mag).  Thats where I have the tractors under tarps.

I just got my JD 40W carb back from a Robert's rebuild, looked nice.  But before getting into the JD 40 I went I figured I better start with the Ferguson 40.  Got the mice nest out, popped in the battery, a little gas and it started after about 3 trys.  I drove it around a bit and then parked it and let it run.

Soooo, while that was running I uncovered the JD 40W and started to put the carb on.  Got it on without issue but will need a new gas line, leaks near the bowl.  Put some gas in it and started it.  It started on the 2 try and ran pretty good so I drove it around.  What I noticed was a little gallop in the idle.  So I got out the manual and started tweeking, noting where it had been set.  The interesting thing is that no matter where I adjusted the load needle I couldn't hear a difference in the idle.  After about 15 minutes of tweeking I had this thing back firing like nuts.  Haven't a clue why and was wondering if someone could help.  It seems that when the throttle was on full open the idle seemed to gallop and soon after it backfired.  I adjusted and adjusted but it wouldn't change.  So I tried to get back to the settings it had when I started.   I restarted it and it seemed to be better but its still sort of gallops.  By gallop I mean it runs and then there seems to be a!
  pause and then it picks up again.  When it picks up thats when it backfired.

Any ideas?

LeRoy