[AT] Rockol tractor Chrysler straigt 8

jfgrant jfgrant at triton.net
Mon May 30 13:46:37 PDT 2005

Yes DeSoto was a part of Chrysler and was their experimental car. I had a 57
DeSoto convertible that was a convertible to boot. It was painted PINK and
BLACK!!! I came home from Panama to be maried and my folks drove it along
with their car out to Kansas where I got married. On our honeymoon the car
developed a strange noise as we were within 100 miles of getting home. Turns
out that the crank was .0100 out of line and finally snapped between two
counterweights. Found another engine in a "junk" yard so I bought the engine
and transmission complete and just switched. Went to hook up the drive shaft
and one end would not fit the differential. Went back to the "junk" yard and
bought the drive shaft. It fit the differential but not the transmission!
Cut both drive shaft's in half and welded the two half's together and hooked
them up. It worked long enough for me to sell the car. It was a pretty thing
and had a lot of new ideas that "they" were trying out. DeSoto always had
something being tried out.  This was right out of the 40's - 50's - and 60's
until Chrysler closed that line.  They are worth a lot now to Penstar
collectors.  John Grant in Michigan