[AJD] s/n discussion - JD books

Duane Larson jdlarson at comcast.net
Mon May 30 10:02:34 PDT 2005

Bill,
I bought my Production Log in January 1999 from the Two Cylinder Club.
Quoting "From 1929 through part of 1972, Lyle (Cherry) maintained a log of
Waterloo tractor production.  The figures came from the assembly and
production control departments, and reflected total production of specific
models and types, month by month, rather than the inventory and shipping
dates of each tractor as recorded in the Serial Number Registers."  It
breaks down by month the production of, for example, in 1948 the A gas, A
distillate, AN gas, AN dist, AW gas, AW dist, AR, and AO.  Adding these
numbers up for the 12 months of the model year does not provide the same
number as one gets from calculating production from any of the s/n lists,
but it is close.  So, one can fairly easily estimate the month of production
of a tractor.  Note this is a different book than the Production Registers
published by Two Cylinder for the unstyled B and G, and the 30 series.
Hope this helps.
Duane