[Steam-engine] Make your own Iron Castings!!

Tod Engine todengine at zoominternet.net
Sun May 29 07:46:37 PDT 2005

I am trying to gauge interest in a proposed program for the Tod Engine Foundation.   I am considering offering an Ironcasting workshop at our site.

The workshop would be for the better part of one day, and would start with making a sand mold from a pattern, either something brought in or supplied by us.  Then we would charge and fire our cupola furnace and pour the molds that were previously made, and end the day with shaking out he molds and taking home the castings that the participants poured.

Most people never have the opportunity to witness molten metal, and even fewer have worked with it.  Through this I workshop would like to give people the opportunity to do something that they may not have the chance to do or see anywhere else, and also teach some of the principles of ironcasting in the process.

Sloss Furnaces in Birmingham offers this workshop for a fee of $200 and we would charge the same for a nearly identical class.  I would like to take the Sloss class to see how they teach theirs.

If there is sufficient interest we would probably start offering this next year.

So my question to you is, does this sound like something that would be of interest?  Would you give up a weekend and some cash to come to Youngstown to pour your own castings?

Thanks

Rick Rowlands
Executive Director
Tod Engine Heritage Park
William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
Youngstown, OH
http://www.todengine.org/
Photo Albums Online: http://community.webshots.com/user/todengine