[AJD] need pictures of safety wire installations

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Tue May 24 14:32:44 PDT 2005

Dean,

Dean VP wrote:

> Ron:
>
> No, I didn't really read the complete article. I did think the illustrations
> were fairly neat which is what I was looking for. I'm not sure what the
> twist in the wire is for between bolts. Nice illustrations though.

I have safety wired thousands of things so far in my career.  Most turn
out ugly.  I think the twists are just there to make it difficult.

> As far as using this wire for hose clamps, is concerned, I would give pause
> to that technique on something that was supposed to have the number of
> takeoffs and landings come out equal. As a temporary field fix on a tractor
> or a temporary road fix on a vehicle I wouldn't hesitate. I've seen and done
> worse.

You can use stainless safety wire as a welding rod in a pinch, but you
know darned well that a hose clamp MUST be baling wire!  No substitutes.

By the way, I did a beautiful job of wiring up the prop bolts on my
Stinson one time and when I got done with all 8 of those things, I
noticed all were tied backwards.  Need more practice.  <g>

Ron Cook
Salix, IA