[Ford-ferguson] TE-20 calls for 90 weight gear oil

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 23 05:37:16 PDT 2005

>From: "J. J." <DblJay7542 at msn.com>
>Subject: [Ford-ferguson] (no subject)
>My Ferguson TE-20 calls for 90 weight gear oil in the transmission and 3
>point system. Can I use a universal hydraulic fluid >and will it cause any
>type of problems?

The Ford N's have the same pump system.  Generally we use 90wt gl-1 mineral
oil.  That is available many places.  Sometimes wall-mart even has it for
about 17$ ( here in florida anyway ).  Napa has a 5g pail part number 65-205

Tractor supply sells an oil marked " For ford transmissions and hydraulics
1939-1952"  This is a 90wt gl- ( 1 or 3 ) oil, and is what i use in my 1946
ford 2N  and 1952 Ford 8N ), with no problems for years.

The universal transdraulif fluid which is equivalent to M2C134D commonly
sold at Tractor supply, etc, _will_ work, but as pointed out, is real thin.
You'll get more pump chatter, and possibly a weaker lift, depending on the
health of the lift system.  Seals already ont he edge, will leak more.. this
includes axle and tranny input shaft seals. If you call a NH dealer.. they
will reccomend 134D in ford trannies.. If you call a MF dealer.. they will
reccomend their version of the UTF oil, whatever they have it named,
usually. Unless I was in below '0' weather.. I'd stick with the 90wt oil.
Avoid 80w90 Gl-5 oils... There are reported to be minor issues with yellow
metals on most gl-5 oils, thought at least 2-3 manufacturers ( penzoil, and
castrol ) make a 'yellow metal safe' gl-4 oil.

Soundguy