[AT] OT - Disk cloning software

Phil Auten pga2 at hot1.net
Sun May 22 19:32:21 PDT 2005

Let me also add that Ghost will make images to CD as well as other hard
rives. I've used it extensively
to clone systems where we had several systems that were exactly alike and
needed them built up for
distribution quickly. I have been able to clone as many as 10 systems a day
using Ghost. I haven't
used it in quite a while, so my copy is outdated, but I'm pretty sure
Norton has updated the program
so it can be used with Windows 2000 and XP.
As for the drives, IDE drives are pretty much the standard that has been
around for some time now.
This is most likely what is in your Dell. Try to get a 7200 RPM ATA133
drive. You probably don't want
a Serial ATA drive unless you are sure that your system will support it.
Make sure that you put only
hard drives on the primary IDE controller cable and put your CD/DVD drives
on the secondary IDE controller.
This will allow your hard drive to perform as it should. If you put the
hard drive and CD or DVD drive on
the same controller, the hard drive will not transfer data as fast as it is
capable of doing.
Those 10,000 RPM drives you saw were most likely SCSI drives. This requires
a completely different
controller, usually an add-in card.

Phil