[AT] Swede farming in Russia/Very long tractor journey

Mattias Kessén Mattias.kessen at telia.com
Sat May 21 01:46:18 PDT 2005

This morning on the morning news show there was a report about a swede farming in Russia that I found interesting enough to share with you.
    This swede Jarl Mathiasson had went to Russia as a farming consultant and fell in love with his translating assistant, since she didn't want to move to Sweden he hired one of the public farms. Many of those farms are not in production now since they are to be privatized!?
anyway he hired this land approximately 2500 acres a little south of Moscow. It has very good dark soil but short intense seasons. The report was not as focused on the macinery that we would have liked but the machinery looked real small on those great fields. They where tandem sowing(?) and I've seen wider sowingmachines around here then those two together, and the fields around here are in the same size as their yard fronting the barn. He seemed to have became a very popular guy since he helped his elderly neighbours plowing their kitchen garden and treated the employees good though he had fired one for drinking at work!?, or probably drinking more than common at work.
    And now the long journey. A friend or relative to him quitted farming, so he gave Jarl his three tractors (didn't say what kinds but i suppose one was the Volvo BM from the early 80's I spotted in the ackground). His friend was situated in south of Sweden, so how get them to Russia? Why not drive, so he and and a couple of friends drove them to Stockholm (300-400miles) Ferried them to S:t Petersburg. In S:t Petersburg they had a taxi guiding them through town in alleys avoiding yhe big roads with a lot of traffic. Then they had the really long way in front of them. I don't know how long but he said that they drove for six days and nights! Probably they were more than three guys?

/Mattias