[AT] genny rpm / was quiet a genny down

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 19 04:35:11 PDT 2005

>I also suspect the generator has to be driven at some minimum RPM to be
>able
>to achieve decent 115V regulation. I suspect with a smaller pulley it would
>be more sensitive to sudden load changes as the engine would take longer to
>recover.

Not just a 'minimum'.. but a specific rpm.  The specific rpm for correct
60hz production will be based on the number of poles.    Usually the lower
priced ones are 3600rpm heads  Next step up is 1800 rpm.

I have seen a few small wattage 'hybred' units that use a gas engine to
charge a battery, and then an inverter converts the dc to AC, and in that
case.. the inverter output will be unefected by engine rpm, so long as the
engine/battery is providing sufficient power for the running / rated load..
etc.

For instance.. my pto generator needs to run right at 540 rpm on my pto (
has a step-up gearbox for the 3600rpm head ).  In this case.. a 1 rpm
difference on the pto makes a 6.6 rpm difference on the genny head.  RPM
controll is critical.

Soundguy