[AT] reducing noise on portable generator

Gene Waugh gwaugh at wowway.com
Wed May 18 21:26:29 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of John Wilkens
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:23 PM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] reducing noise on portable generator

Dig a hole, put a good size bucket, etc. in the hole, stick a flexible
exhaust hose down in the bucket and fill the bucket with rocks or large
gravel.  Works good.  The deeper the better...as long as you don't hit
water!   John

_______

But, once we truly muffle the small (especially air cooled) engine, we
realize how much noise the engine itself makes---LOTS!!

I suspect that the best practical solution we have heard so far is to put
some sort of barrier (sheet of plywood, upturned table, etc) between the
generator and campsite---flop an old blanket over the table / plywood, and
go!

Else spend the big $$ for a small Honda, or motor home generator.

Gene
Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois USA