[Steam-engine] Gauge Syphon

Francis Orr steam.boat at verizon.net
Wed May 18 11:59:43 PDT 2005

Regards the pigtail syphons, I have them on all my boilers but with the
exception of the little 3 HP VFT, they are all stationary. The 3 HP has been
from the East Coast to the West and travels about 400 miles each year on my
trailer. Certainly not a Cadillac ride! However, given a choice, I would
probably use the condensor type. A traction engine is always under
vibration, even just turning over no load, which is not a good condition for
the pigtail. A friend had a brass pigtail break right at the threads on a
VFT boiler.
Francis A. Orr