[AT] Stumbling Briggs Fixed

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 08:27:57 PDT 2005

I finally had a chance to work on the brigs last night.

The problems were rust & sludge in the carb bowl, bowl gasket leaking, carb to block gasket possibly leaking a little and a small spring in gov. linkage with a broken hook.  The plug was like new, so I left it alone.

I "kitted" the carb, cleaned that area and removed a few acorns from around the cooling fins.  I bent a new hook on the spring.  It looks like it is to keep any slack out of the gov. linkage, not a major issue, but it could make it run smoother.  It started on the first pull, then I adjusted the idle screw and reattached the air cleaner.  I then headed for some knee high fescue (it's a tuff cut lawn mower).  No stumble, in fact, it doesn't really sound like it comes up on the gov. much at all, it just keeps a fairly constant speed cutting heavy grass until it finally pulls down if overloaded.

I cut long enough to burn half a tank of gas (ran out...) of tall grass for a hot wire pasture and never killed it.

The "build date" on the mower was 11/87, I bought in the spring of 88.  I guess it's time for a carb kit.

Thanks

Len Rugen

Personal: lrugen at c-magic.com
PH School: rugenl at tnp.more.net