[Steam-engine] Woolf Valve

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 11:56:47 PDT 2005

My pedistal is mounted directly to the boiler
independant of the engine frame.  The pivot shaft is
in poured babbit.  Besides pouring new babbit on the
pivot shaft i have seen no adjustment in the position
of the shat.  I'll look closer tonight and maybe snap
a couple of pics.  I have the Case Manual and Steam
Engine Guide and have reads the sections on setting
the Woolf valve.  It has been a while since I read
them though and I will have another look at those
sections.  Both are very well written and helpful
books that I recommend to anyone with an interest in
traction engines.
--- Ken Majeski <fuller_johnson1 at msn.com> wrote:
> Well... On the Case or Mpls the height of the
> pedistal is changed by adding
> or removing shims under the reverse shaft mount. The
> pedistal is the correct
> height when there is little movement of the valve
> when the reverse lever is
> moved when the engine is on either dead center.
> Movement of the valve when
> on either center is called slip. Case says that if
> you can not get it low
> enough to take it to a machine shop and get some
> planed off. Of course
> bearing wear and removing main bearing shims will
> change the relationship of
> the pivot to the crank.
>
> I don't know how the Huber is made... ( Thats a Good
> Thing )... Is the
> reverse shaft mount (pedistal) removeable or is just
> part of the engine
> frame...????
>
> I would suggest the Case Steam Manual and the little
> Green Book ( Steam
> Engine Guide) for timing the valve with the Woolf
> Reverse.... Don't be
> suprised if you have to Tweek the valve rod to get
> the engine to run even
> Both ways even after following the directions
> precisely.... The Woolf
> reverse is not a perfect gear.... And will not do
> exactly the same thing in
> both directions.... This is also affected by the
> angularity of the
> connecting rod and that is unavoidable... Early
> valve gears seem to be the
> worst and the after 1911 one better...
>
> Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine,
> Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R.
> Website, Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN