[AT] OT - Disk cloning software

Thomas O. Mehrkam tomehrkam at houston.rr.com
Mon May 16 19:21:37 PDT 2005

If it came with the software preloaded they generally include either an
image disk that will restore the OS and all the applications or the
application install images are stored on the hard disk. If the
installation images are stored on the hard disk then you back them up to
cd rom.

I JUST NOTICED THAT IT WAS a USED computer. I GUESS THEY DID NOT PASS
ALONG THE RESTORE CD'S.

IN THAT CASE YOU CAN BACK UP THE DISK TO ANOTHER HARD DISK OR CDROM. I
PURCHASED AN EXTERNAL WESTERN DIGITAL 160 GB HARD DISK THAT CONNECTS
THROUGH USB OR FIREWIRE. IT CAME WITH A DISK BACK AND RESTORE PROGRAM
THAT WILL BACK UP THE SYSTEM DISK. YOU CAN MAKE A BOOKABLE CDROM TO USE
IF THE SYSTEM DISK CRASHES. IF IT CRASHES YOU JUST BOOT THE CDROM AND IT
WILL REINSTALL THE OS THEN THE OTHER FILES ARE LOADED FROM THE EXTERNAL
HARD DISK. THE DRIVE AND SOFTWARE SELLS FOR $145 or less.

Another option is ghost. you need to install another hard disk and ghost
can clone the system disk to the hard disk. I have not used ghost for a
while. The newer versions can clone nfts formatted drives that NT and XP
use. I think they can backup to cdrom also.

THE AGE OF THE SYSTEM, OS AND THE SIZE OF THE SYSTEM DISK MAY DETERMINE
THE BEST APPROACH.