[AT] O/T diesel truck question

Vaughn Miller VMiller at messiah.edu
Mon May 16 06:13:20 PDT 2005

Cecil,

I have a '93 chevy with the 6.5L, but it would be different from yours as
mine is the older manual injection pump.

A good source for info on the 6.5's is www.dieselplace.com  There are lots
of Chevy diesel owners on these forums.  A source for performance parts is
www.heathdiesel.com  Heath now specializes solely in the 6.2/6.5

Vaughn Miller

>>> cmonson at hvc.rr.com 5/16/05 8:46:46 AM >>>
	I have a question for the "diesel guys" on the List being
as tractor talk is kinda scarce this morning.

	I have two trucks with diesel engines - the Dodge 2500 HD
4X4 with the Cummins and my 98 GMC 4X4 3500 dump truck with the
GM diesel engine. I have no problems with the Cummins that I know
about - plenty power and good economy. The GMC has a problem with
pulling loads up hills. Where the Cummins just seems to reach down
and find more power somewhere, the GMC doesn't have any reserve,
pulls down and as the temperature on the guage comes up, starts
blowing smoke out the exhaust until I back off, slow down and get
the temperature down. This is not the Duramax engine, it is the
one that the Duramax replaced the next model year after mine.

	I was looking at the Banks Power website yesterday and
see that there is a kit for the 6.5 liter diesel engine and was
wondering if anyone had tried it and had any comments on it. It
doesn't look like much comes with it to me - a larger exhaust
system, improved muffler, and a large air scoop air inlet to the
engine plus some gauges and a new air filter. It doesn't promise
much either except to get the engine on "boost" quicker - whatever
that means, and up to 36 hp maximum expected power gain.

	Another question I have is if taking this truck to a
good diesel shop for a checkup might be advisable. As I have never
owned a diesel engine truck before I got these two, I've never had
to have anyone take a look at a diesel engine of mine. Can they
hook this GMC engine up to test equipment and check it out like
you can a gas engine?

	Any comments from anyone with actual diesel engine experience
would be appreciated - on or off the List.

	Thank you.

Cecil