[AT] More John Deere 4020 questions

ken knierim wild1 at cpe-66-1-196-61.az.sprintbbd.net
Thu May 12 16:26:23 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 04:55, James Yost wrote:
> Ken,
>
> The later 6600 combines used a 404. If I was going to
> re-power my 1971 4020 that I want to re-power some day
> and install a sound guard cab on I would use a 466 out
> of a 7720 combine. When changing these engines out
> make sure you get the proper flywheel. The gas
> tractors do not use the same flywheel as the diesels.
> Using a combine engine you would need to use a
> different oil pan if I thinking correctly. Very little
> modification is needed.
>
> Jim
>

>From the damage assessment, Dad says the engine block, pan and clutch
housing are all broken. He says he knows where there are a few old
combines but needs to find out what to look for. Do they use the same
clutch housing on the combines???

He's running a diesel but I'm not sure of the year. He's probably not
sure either; is there some sort of a resource for S/N versus year?

Thanks!

Ken