[AJD] Deluxe fender question

Don Shehi shehi at commspeed.net
Wed May 11 20:05:44 PDT 2005

Dean

In this northern part of Arizona, the tractor pulls are for fun.  No prizes
given, just go out and exercise your equipment, pull as often as you wish.
They do record how well one does at any given event.

A couple of years ago, I backed my 630 off the scales and one of the
gentleman who was helping with the weighing of the tractors remarked, that
my 630 weighed more than the JD R that was just ahead of me.  As I remember,
the weight was around 8,500lbs for my 630WFE.  I generally pull in low gear.
It never runs out of power in low.  In second, it depends on the track,
sometimes it will spin out and other times it will lose power. I agree that
it's much easier on the old tractors to pull them in low gear only using
about 1/2 throttle.

Last March, at a local pull on a rainy day, I was pulling my 620LP (single
front wheel).  I had just finished a pull where I ran out of power in
second.  On my way back to the tractor parking area, a gentleman from North
Dakota came up and stated talking to me.  We talked for an hour or so, he
told me that my 620LP did not have enough propane as it was not barking loud
enough.  We adjusted the propane and the next pull the 620LP spun out in
second gear.  Within that hour, I got a good education on John Deere propane
tractors.  As I understand, the 620 and 630 have the same engine, according
to the book the propane is rated a horsepower more that the gas.  My 620LP
is a late one, black dash and my 630 is an early one, both built in 1958.

About weight class.  The first item we worry about is being safe, the next
is to have fun.  The weight classes we don't worry about.  So far with the
620LP and the 630 WFE, I have had little problems with keeping the front end
on the ground.  They do get light enough that steering becomes difficult at
times.  These are both stock.