[AT] Briggs stumbles when load increases

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed May 11 12:38:04 PDT 2005

On 10 May 2005 at 8:51, Len Rugen wrote:

> I have a 8 HP I/C Briggs that is about 15 years old but has been well cared for.  It
> starts on the first pull and doesn't use any oil.  Its problem is that when a load hits
> it, it "stumbles" and nearly dies, then runs rough for awhile.  If the load stays
> constant, it will handle it, but if it varies, it runs bad.  It has a float carb, and will
> leak when not running unless I turn off the fuel, so I know it needs at least a float
> valve.
>
> What else could it be?

	It could be the float valve (first thing I would suspect) but then again it could be the
float itself. Sometimes  a brass one will get a tiny pin hole leak that only sucks gas
into it when temperatures change and may only have a tiny amount of fuel in it. It
doesn't take much to weight it down enough to flood the engine. It is easy to check for,
just shake it... If it has fuel in it it is sometimes possible to heat the float in hot
water with the pin hole down so it can push the gas out. You can also locate the hole in
hot water. Then you can seal the hole with a "TINY" dab of solder. It is easy to add too
much weight to a brass float soldering a hole. Just an extra thought.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA