[Farmall] K5

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Wed May 11 10:49:09 PDT 2005

Looks like I misspoke. I checked the standards we use for selecting screws
and 12's have been dropped from the list as of 1956.
That explains why our mechanics put their parts box in the company vault
when they work on the older equipment!

Carl Szabelski

             "Karl Olmstead"
             <olmstead at ridgene
             t.net>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "Farmall/IHC mailing list"
             farmall-bounces at l         <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>
             ists.antique-trac                                          cc
             tor.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Farmall] K5
             05/11/2005 11:33
             AM

             Please respond to
                Farmall/IHC
               mailing list
             <farmall at lists.an
             tique-tractor.com

I put in a big order for fillister head screws to MSC several years ago
when
I started working on magnetos, carbs and fuel pumps.  I got #8s, #10s and
#12s in coarse and fine threads.  I replace every screw as I rebuild the
magnetos.  Mainly because I'm too doggone lazy to sandblast and paint all
those old screws.  It makes a big difference in the appearance of the
rebuilt parts.  A fellow asked me last week where I got the NOS fuel pump
on
my F-14.  It was just one I had rebuilt.

I hadn't realized that #12 screws were no longer offered until you
mentioned
it, Steve.  My MSC catalog skips from #10 to 1/4".  That's not good; some
old tractors used #12s.  In this case, it was just the right diameter
(0.210") to replace the rusted off stop.

Just checked.  Taps for 12-24 and 12-28 are still offered in the catalog,
but screws aren't.  Hmm...

Having a lathe and a mill opens up a lot of opportunities that I was not
aware of before.  So far most of what I've done on them has been
manufacture
of tools, primarily for magneto assembly and disassembly.  F-4 impulse
puller, tools to press in new bearing races, a big screwdriver to undo a
special screw on a JD-H, etc.

It's hard to believe how well you can remove twisted off screws and bolts
once you have a mill.  Orient the piece properly, center punch the old
screw, drill it out, run in the tap, and the threaded hole is restored,
with
virtually zero damage.

-Karl