[AT] OK visits & tractor show

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Tue May 10 20:46:00 PDT 2005

Barbara and I returned home early this morning (Tuesday) from a 8 1/2 day tour that included visiting family and H.L. & Billie Staples and the G.O.O. show at Pawnee, OK.
I really enjoyed H.L.s detailed tour, especially the implements they have developed for raised beds and laying down plastic.  They also raise many flats of beautiful flowers; Barbara had to have three flats, planted two today, plus she gave one flat to my sister in Tulsa.  Barbara also enjoyed nice strawberrys (from Staples) that lasted her until last day of our trip.  So, we had a great time.
The G.O.O. shows are always good; Nan Jones, Editor of Old Allis News, has a good selection to choose from.  One of the implements that caused considerable reminiscing was an early 1930's Case 12' combine, as it was very similar to ours.  I was tractor driver pulling that unit for 100+ acres of wheat each year for ten or eleven harvests.   No big problem, unless there were some mudholes.
Herb