[AT] Nuts n Bolts, bolts mostly...

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Mon May 9 06:49:20 PDT 2005

Walt, I presume your response of "What?" refers to the reference to heat. I
am sorry that I left out the rest of the esplanation. As most of us know,
the different grades of bolts are of different hardness. A grade 2 bolt is
basically just steel. But the higher grades are treated for additional
strength. The grade 5 bolt we use for 90% of applications is roughly
equivalent to a basic oil quench tempering. But if you heat that steel to
the point where it is red hot (the normal amount when cutting it with a
grinder that most people use to cut threaded rod or similar items), then the
area heated loses that temper and hence its strength.
    While this is by no means the whole length of the bolt, I have seen
enough places where that strength would make a difference, I always think
about it before cutting a bolt. Yes, I do upon rare occasions cut bolts as
needed to accomplish what I need to do!  So this is not a blanket
prohibition against cutting bolts.... Just a caution.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California