[AT] 8N ring and pinion

Greg Whittaker gwhittak at triton.net
Thu May 5 19:24:04 PDT 2005

We've got our 8N torn down and as expected it needs a new ring and pinion.
We checked at our local Ford dealer and they want $1,000.00 for the set.
Seems a bit outta line to me.  I spent a couple hours looking around on the
Net for a source and came up with some for NAAs for around $500.00 but
nothing for an N series.  It appears that the only difference is that Ns use
7/16" bolts on the ring and NAAs use 1/2"?  Otherwise axles etc seem as
though they'll interchange.  Anybody have a source for an 8N ring and pinion
set?  We'd like to put new gears in it but if it means spending a grand
we'll find some good used ones.

Thanks,
Greg Whittaker
Wolverine Mi