[AT] Rubber boots

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed May 4 07:17:49 PDT 2005

On 3 May 2005 at 21:26, r.goff wrote:

> No, not the kind you wear. In fact it was a beautiful sunny warm day for a
> change here.
> Some of you may recall the problem I had last fall with trying to install a
> new rubber shift boot on the gear shift of the 730 Case. After trying
> unsuccessfully to remove the shift knob several times through the winter I
> had pretty well given up on it.
> I came across the new shift boot this aft. out in the work shop and decided
> to give it one last try even if I had to break the plastic shift knob in the
> process.
> I decided to try an old trick that I have used on stubborn spin on oil
> filters that won't fit the filter wrench. A short length of used #40 roller
> chain wrapped around the fattest part of the shift knob and I used a spike
> to fit through the rollers and applied a bit of leverage to it. Amazingly
> the knob turned and I was able to spin it off with no damage to the plastic.
> I thought I'd relate the story on here in hopes it might help someone else.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

	I have had a "Vice-Grip" chain wrench for a long time and it works much like the chain
Ralph used. You can see one here:
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/us/h248/a193967.html
	I found the picture by doing a Google "image" search on "chain wrench" I have several
chain wrenches like most shown in the results but they don't work well on stuff that is
soft or can collapse. This vice grip wrench (and Ralph's chain) can be controlled better
on stuff that is not extremely solid since using it doesn't depend on prying hard in one
spot with a toothed pad. A piece of old inner tube between the chain and the item can
also help.
	I have also used an old Vega cogged timing belt successfully on soft items.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA