[AT] Sockets update

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Wed May 4 07:11:44 PDT 2005

Here is an update to my sockets saga. I finally broke down and am bidding
higher on EBay and expect to get the 7/8" 8 point socket soon. That's the
good news. Now for the ongoing challenges.... I still need to find drag link
sockets. I have been searchin locally and extensively. There seems to be a
dearth of them on EBay currently too. So, here is the information about
them.
    I am rebuilding Ag sprinkler heads. I have been using pieces of mild
steel so far as "screwdriver blades" for the slots on the bottom of the
sprinkler head central tube. The issue is that I cannot apply even pressure
with this method and so the brass sometimes gets broken off. This is clearly
unacceptable! So the solution is to use drag link sockets.
    The problem is the cost of the new ones from Snapon and the minimal
selection from MAC (oh and the cost there too....) No one offers them at
what this poor farmer type considers a reasonable price anymore. So, I need
to get several sizes of them (ranging from 1/8" thickness to 1/4". The width
needs to be at least 7/8" on each of these. This does match the traditional
sizing of the drag link sockets. It is not important to me whether these are
1/2" drive, 3/4" or 1" drive as all are usable. But the easiest would be
either 1/2' or 3/4" drive.
    Can anyone sell me what I need at an inexpensive price? Please let me
know.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California