[AT] Rubber boots

r.goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue May 3 20:26:11 PDT 2005

No, not the kind you wear. In fact it was a beautiful sunny warm day for a
change here.
Some of you may recall the problem I had last fall with trying to install a
new rubber shift boot on the gear shift of the 730 Case. After trying
unsuccessfully to remove the shift knob several times through the winter I
had pretty well given up on it.
I came across the new shift boot this aft. out in the work shop and decided
to give it one last try even if I had to break the plastic shift knob in the
process.
I decided to try an old trick that I have used on stubborn spin on oil
filters that won't fit the filter wrench. A short length of used #40 roller
chain wrapped around the fattest part of the shift knob and I used a spike
to fit through the rollers and applied a bit of leverage to it. Amazingly
the knob turned and I was able to spin it off with no damage to the plastic.
I thought I'd relate the story on here in hopes it might help someone else.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/