[AT] briggs carb question

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon May 2 17:48:32 PDT 2005

Yes, Len, that diaphragm is the fuel pump.  The spring goes in the
recess in the side of the carb.  The cap goes between the spring and the
diaphragm, then the diaphragm and then the cover.  The whole idea is
that the pulsing vacuum causes the diaphragm to pull in against the
spring and then the spring pushes the diaphragm back out again in
between intake strokes.  There are two flaps on the diaphragm that are
the valves of the fuel pump.  Check to make sure that the screen on the
intake pipe down in the fuel tank isn't clogged.  If the screen is
clogged, you won't get any gas into the settling bowl of the carb
regardless of how hard the fuel pump works.  There should be two intake
pipes.  The long one is the inlet to the fuel pump.  The short one goes
directly to the throat of the carburetor.  The whole idea is that the
fuel pump keeps the "settling bowl" in the top of the tank filled up and
then the venturi action pulls the gas from the small bowl.  If there is
an impediment to flow in either pipe, the engine won't run.

Larry