[AJD] need for tank etch?

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com greg at theoldtractorcompany.com
Thu Mar 31 22:47:05 PST 2005

I have sealed quite a few tanks and never did etch them.I think I was lucky. I just steam
cleaned the devil out of them, let them dry for several days in the sun, then usually used two
bottles of sealer so as to have enough liquid in the tank to swirl around. I then propped the
tank up and drained the excess sealer back into a bottle, no need to have it 1" thick!
I have always suspected that the reason I didn't need to use an etcher is that these were very
old and very unused tanks. Example being the one on my 1927 D. Probably hadn't run in 40 years
so I thought this tank and the others were nearly virgin. That and I made darn sure the tank
was 100% dry before I installed the sealer. As I've said before, the 1927 D had quite a few
holes as big as a silver dollar and somewhere near 200 pinholes. This tank has held gas since
1987.
So the tank will have to come off to clean or etch it and then seal it.
Greg

Greg Stephen
The Old Tractor Company
Stephen Equipment Company
PO Box 709
Franktown, CO 80116
303-663-5246
303-468-0377 FAX<<--GREAT WAY TO REACH ME!

On Thu Mar 31 22:49 , John Boehm <rustyacres at yahoo.com> sent: