[Farmall] Farmall f-30 price?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Mar 31 13:24:31 PST 2005

I agree with all the other comments. I bought a non-running F-30 and
never seemed to get interested in it enough to get it running. But
getting it home was another story: The seller's place was about a mile
away as the crow flies, but 5 miles away by road. Nobody we knew had a
trailer wide enough for the tractor, so I drove over with my Super M,
and we towed it home with a chain! The seller said that his butt was
pretty sore by the time we got down the road. The only problem came when
we started down my dirt lane - the F-30 had almost no brakes. So we
unhooked the chain, gave the tractor a push and sent it on down the hill
with only the clutch for a brake. He never actually got going fast
enough to need to brake, as there was enough resistance through the
transmission to keep the speed down. Nils Rittwegger ended up buying the
tractor and taking it back up to northern MA to make it into a puller!
Nils had a large flatbed trailer and mechanic's truck with a
electric/hydraulic crane that made short work of loading.

The reasons I never bothered with fixing up the tractor were that I
really had no use for it and it was too big for me to take anywhere for
a parade/show. Incidentally, the top speed of an F-30 is something like
3 1/2" mph in top gear, so I suppose it would be good pulling a parade
float, and you don't even need brakes. If anyone wants images of mine,
please contact me off-line at <mikesloane at verizon.net>

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )