[Steam-engine] Rivited boilers

Lawrence Swanz LSwanz at superioriron.com
Wed Mar 30 05:58:52 PST 2005

Actually, as for riveting and putting in staybolts, my understanding is that the owner can perform this repair.  I believe you are still required to have your state boiler inspector look the job over before it can be put back into operation.  But I know that Jim Briden's shop in Fargo replaces these items quite often and he doesn't carry an "R" or an "S" stamp.  He does however hire a certified shop to do any required welding that is required.  I know from personal experience that when my grandfather replaced the front flue sheet on our 25-85 Nichols&Shepard back in the late 80's, that my grandfather, mother and I riveted the entire flue sheet in ourselves.  My mother ran the forge, while I set the rivets and actuated the bucker; I was pretty young at the time of the repair, and gramps riveted the heads over with an air hammer.  He did allow me to drive a couple of them down, just to gain some experience, but I was a wee bit shy of enough hind end to really hold onto the air hammer at the time.  Anyway, that is my experience on riveting.

Tom Dillon, correct me if I am wrong on this, but I am under the understanding that this is acceptable, at least here in Minnesota.

Lawrence