[Farmall] lets talk Farmalls

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Mar 30 04:19:45 PST 2005

Actually, the 340 isn't all that much larger than the 240 (although over
1000 lbs heavier), and certainly smaller than the H. But the 340 has
everything the 240 lacks - 5 speed transmission plus TA, live PTO,
(optional) power steering, 5 more hp, etc. It still has a 6 volt
electrical system, and they moved the battery to behind the seat, which
is good for getting on and off the tractor but bad for having a very
long cable to the starter solenoid. I am very sorely tempted to convert
mine to 12 volts for that reason. I will send you an image off-line of
my 140, 240, and 340 sitting side by side for comparison.

I do some brush mowing with my 240, and the non-live PTO isn't all that
much of a problem, but I prefer using the 340. (My 240 is an industrial
and can get under trees better than the 340 row crop.)

Mike

Arthur Umland wrote:
>    Thanks Mike for letting me know. I would have been truly disappointed
> to find that out after the fact. Guess I will have to re-evaluate
> whether that is the ideal tractor for me or not. I presently have a 1951
> Super C and like the size and feel of the tractor. Have a couple of H's
> around as well. But I would like to have one tractor with a three point
> hitch and live power and live hydraulics. I believe the Farmall 340
> provides all that, but it is larger and heavier then the Super C.
>      Regards,
>                           Art
>
> On Mar 29, 2005, at 3:58 PM, Mike Sloane wrote:
>
>> All I can say is that the parts manual doesn't show it, and my 240U
>> doesn't have a "live" PTO. My 340 does have one, however.
>> Mike

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )