[AT] AC WD45 Tranny question

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Tue Mar 29 06:34:12 PST 2005

Al,
there are two problem areas. The end of the shift lever and the slots in the
shift forks get worn and allow the transmission to either get stuck in one
gear or to get into two gears at once. The fix is to pull the shift tower and
build up the end of the lever and reshape it to properly fit the forks.
The second problem area is the pin that the shift lever works on. This will
wear and cause the lever to come out of the forks. This is a failry simple
fix, replace the pin. Once you have the tower off, it will be pretty obvious
how to R&R the pin. While the tower is off, might as well do the end of the
lever too.
To reinstall the tower, there is a procedure in the manual that should be
followed to get everything back together correctly. I can't remember now if
the forks should be in neutral or one of the gears, but I'm sure others on
the list will have that info for you.
If no help comes from this list, check out The Unofficial Allis-Chalmers site
at <http://www.allischalmers.com/>. Those folks are almost as helpful as the
folks here!

Phil