[AT] Knocking in T-Posts, lots and lots of em..

Matthew matthewx at dogod.com
Mon Mar 28 06:13:21 PST 2005

Spring is upon us here in the east and I have a project that requires knocking
in lots and lots of T posts for 'lectric fence.

I have one of those post drivers that is like a capped hunk of pipe with
handles on the side.  With thick gloves on I can do maby 15 of them a day
before my joints hurt from my wrists down.  We have a lot of rocks around
here..

So, I have been thinking of building a contraption to knock the suckers in.

My first thought was to somehow affix something like my hand driver to the
bucket on my backhoe and use that.  If I made the pipe the dimension I want
sticking out of the ground and weld a plate to the bottom of it, that would
make it pretty brainless to bash them in.  Downside is that the machine is
big and kind of a PITA to start, though once it is goingn it will run all
day.  There is also the issue of how to attach the thing to the bucket.

The other thought is to build a tripod with a pully at the top and use
the same pipe thing, only with weights around it to drive it down.  I had
thoughts of making a V grooved thing off the belt pully on one of the old
tractors I could "snag" the rope over the top of to pull it up and then
knock ot of the groove to drop down fast.  The belt pully goes too fast
for that though.

Has anybody else built a comtraption for knocking these thing in?  It seems
silly to kill myself doing > 100 of em by hand.

--Matthew