[AT] I need help on 3 pt

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Mar 27 21:30:57 PST 2005

The relief valve is usually part of the same casting as the control
valve, Clint.  The diagram I have on my Kubota shows it that way also.
Typically, auxiliary equipment, such as a loader, are either operated in
series with the 3-point, or there is a petcock arrangement on the
control block to switch fluid pressure to one or the other of your
attachments.  On my Kubota, the diverter valve is on the lift cylinder
right behind the driver's knees.  In addition, there probably is an
auxiliary power block located along the side of the engine in the high
pressure line coming from the pump.

The Kubota workshop manual lists these possible problems in the
troubleshooting area:

Unable to lift -- Insufficient oil, Clogged oil filter, Obstructed
hydraulic pipe, excessive load, Improper adjustment of relief valve,
defective gear pump, improper position of directional valve, defective
control valve, broken O-ring at hydraulic piston or cylinder cap.

Slow to lift -- Low oil temperature, loose inlet pipe connection (allows
air to enter), clogged oil filter, insufficient oil, defective gear
pump, scratched relief valve.

There are strainers on the outlets of the oil reservoir.  Those are
separate from the hydraulic oil filter, and those may be clogged.  I'm
not sure how those are removed on your tractor, but usually they are
screwed in from the outside.

USUALLY, there is some sort of cap over the adjustment for the pressure
relief valve.  On some systems though, it's out in the open and
unprotected.  Regardless, it's tempting to tweak that screw and
completely mess up the working pressure of your hydraulic system.

You don't have any dents in the steel lines going to and from your pump
do you?  That sort of thing can cause the symptoms you have.

Larry