[AT] Pitchforks - new vs. old.

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Mar 25 08:59:38 PST 2005

On 25 Mar 2005 at 10:33, George Willer wrote:

> My favorite fork is a king sized version of the normal manure fork... I use
> it a lot for various landscaping jobs.  I don't know its' original purpose,
> but assumed it may be a fodder fork.  It had 5 or maybe 6 tapered tines that
> are maybe half again as long as a regular fork.  I remember getting it at an
> auction where it was selling along with a cheap level as a twofer.  The
> winning bidder was complaining about having to take the fork he didn't want
> to get the level.  I asked him to name a price for the fork and he said $5.
> I couldn't get it out fast enough.  My newer manure fork doesn't get used at
> all.  I'll have to check whether it has straight tines.
>
> O K, I checked.  The wonderful fork has 5 20" tapered tines.  The newer
> Union fork has 4 13" straight tines.  Funny, I never noticed that they were
> straight, only that I didn't like it.
>
> George Willer

	That big fork sounds like one I have "someplace" that we always called a "straw fork".

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. Here 100 years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net