[AT] Cheap racks for steel, lumber or even potted plants

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Mar 25 07:44:25 PST 2005

	I was sorting through some scrap iron this morning and thought I might mention one set
of racks I have that I put in use maybe 10 years ago. I do a bit of blacksmithing
sometimes and also use a lot of scrap iron to make or repair farm equipment. I needed to
get some useful scrap iron up off of the ground and as usual I was well blessed with
poverty. I had a batch of light pipe seat frames I had saved out of an old school bus I
used to use for mowers back when we made part of our living mowing grass. The frames only
had legs on one end and I thought about welding legs on but then decided to use some used
concrete blocks I had. I lined about 4 or 5 of the frames up along one end of the shop
outside with the legless end sitting on blocks next to the shop and the frames about 2
feet apart. The feet of the legs were sat on single bricks. I then laid old boards on the
part where the seat cushion would have sat. The boards are still basically intact all
these years later but you might want to treat them with something. Short useable scrap is
placed cross-wise of the rack and long stuff sits length-wise above it supported by the
seat back frames.
	I could see these used as two level tables in a greenhouse by putting boards on the top
too.
	There are a lot of school busses being converted to campers or other hauling uses (like
camping and hauling old tractors at the same time) and the seats are the first thing to
get tossed.
	Just a thought.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. Here 100 years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net