[AT] This is how wheat was harvested in early Oregon about 1850.

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 14:30:06 PST 2005

OOp! forgot its from my 2nd Gt. grand aunt 's  memiors about the Oregon trail
and growing up in Wheatland, Oregon.

here  is some more of the story.
It was a tired but good natured and hungry crew of  men and boys, who
gathered around the spring to wash up and cool off before  taking their places around
the big table in the kitchen. Mother was a good cook  and at that time of
year, she had Milk and eggs and a good garden. There was  always a young beef or
a hog to kill. How those hungry, tired men would eat.  They were like ravenous
wolves and it took them but a few minutes to finish  their suppers, then
everybody went outside to rest on the grass and smoke and  sing, and tell stories,
till bed time.When the cutting was all done and the  grain had fully cured in
the shocks, Father and the boys would haul and stack it  at the side of the
barn, stacking bundles in such a way that the long, outside  straws would shed
the rain and the heads of grain would be inside and protected  from the
dampness. It was rather a neat thing, and was always done by someone  who thoroughly
understood it. The stack, when completed and topped with its last  bundle,
should be as watertight as a carefully thatched roof. Sometimes we would  have
five or six big stacks standing in a half circle around the trashing  floor.

No person, who has never "watched gap" can appreciate the  appalling,
crushing monotony of it. Grown up people can never seem to remember  when they were
little and were made to watch gap. A "gap" was a place where the  fence was
opened up or laid down, if it happened to be built of rails and all  fences in
those days were. When the bundles of grain or shocks of hay were being  hauled
in, closing the fences after each trip was quite impossible, but I still
insist that the barnyard stock could just as well have been shut in the barn or
turned into the river pasture. Day in and day out, I sat by the gap, nothing in
the world to do but stay there and keep the cattle out of the field. One year
I  had the chicken pox during hauling time, and I was glad of it, I could
scratch  and it gave me something to think about.

Farmers helped each other  with the threshing as well as the cutting of the
grain and sometimes it was well  into the winter before everyone's grain would
be stored away in sacks or bins.A  few days before threshing was to start, the
farmers would round up there wild  horses. When everything was ready at the
farm where the work was to begin, forty  or fifty of the wild horses would be
driven there and corralled in a pen that  opened to the threshing floor.

Our threshing floor was not really  a floor at all, but just a smooth, level
bit of hard ground with a high wall  around it. Gates opened from it to a
couple of corrals. The wild horses were  driven into one of these pens and kept
there till the floor had been covered to  a depth of three or four feet with the
loose bundles of grain. Then fifteen or  twenty of the horses would be driven
onto it. They were exactly as wild as  antelopes. The loose straw under foot
and men and boys hollering and waving  their hats, frightened the imprisoned
animals into the wildest panic. Back and  forth and round and round they would
plunge. when their speed would slacken, men  with long whips would urge them
on and on till flakes of foam and sweat would  drip from their flanks. Then
they would be turned into the empty corral and men  would go onto the threshing
floor and turn the straw, or if the grain had been  shattered easily, the straw
would be thrown out and new bundles would be spread  on the floor and fresh
horses would be turned in. The threshing at each farm  might last for a week or
two. It was a wonderful time for us children. The men,  themselves, seemed to
enjoy it.

And so the threshing would go on  at each farm in its turn till it was all
done. Then the herd of jaded and now  thoroughly broken horses would be divided
and taken home to be ridden or worked  by their owners.

But that did not finish the harvest. At our house  there would be maybe a
thousand bushels of grain on the threshing floor and as  many bushels, or more of
chaff and broken straw. Separating the grain from the  chaff was a tedious
task. It was usually done by the farmers themselves. A high  platform would be
built in a place well exposed to the wind. Sacks of the grain  would be carried
up to a man who stood on the platform, then he would pour it  slowly into the
sweep of the wind. The heavier grain falling neat and clean in a  pile at the
base of the platform, while the lighter straw and chaff, would  scatter and
carry away. The grain that was to be used for seed or flour would be  run
through the fanning mill. Oh! how I hated that fanning mill. I am not sure,  but I
think I would be afraid of it even yet. I used to have to keep the cleaned
grain cleared away from the front of it and I would rather have faced wild
horses. I do not really know why I was afraid of it, but I was. It stood in the
granary and I never went there unless I was sent for something.Things were
getting easier for us and Mother seemed quite happy and contented. It is true
that there were not a great many people in the country even then, it was a time
in November of 1847 that I have in mind, but several families that we liked
and  neighbored with were near us and told us of things that were happening in
other  parts of our new country. Our lives had settled into the new ways and
we were  contented and happy in a peaceful valley.

Walt Davies
Cooper  Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361
503 623-0460