[AT] Left or right combines?

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sat Mar 19 23:31:06 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene Waugh <gwaugh at wowway.com>
To: 'Antique tractor email discussion group' <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 10:20 PM
Subject: RE: [AT] Left or right combines?

My question is:  Was the bagging - bulk thing a local/regional thing, or
> were there other reasons for the two methods?
Gene,
I don't know the answer to your' question.  This is just a guess on my part
but maybe in the case of the sugar beet seed from Oregon's Willamette Valley
sacking was done because the ultimate customers of the seed were farmers in
Eastern Oregon and Idaho and sacks would be easy for them to handle.  I wish
now I would of asked the farmer but at the time I guess I just didn't care
or was always too tired to ask anything I didn't absolutely need to know to
do my job.
Incidentally, the primary crop on this farm in Oregon I referred to was
Marion Bluegrass seed.  The farmer had three combines (two self propelled
Massey's and the IH) and four or five grain trucks going in the grass seed
harvest.  The grass seed was not bagged but when we emptied the combine
holding tanks we had to dump into pullet boxes on the trucks.  The boxes, as
I recall, were something like four-foot square and three and a half to four
foot high.  Again, I can't answer the question why the Elevator would only
handle grass seed in this fashion.
Dudley Rupert
Snohomish, Washington