[AT] Left or right combines?

Gene Waugh gwaugh at wowway.com
Sat Mar 19 20:20:08 PST 2005

This discussion of older combines begs a question from me...

I grew up around pull-behind combines, pto driven, but they were not
baggers; they simply dumped into a hopper which was augered into a wagon
when needed.

My question is:  Was the bagging - bulk thing a local/regional thing, or
were there other reasons for the two methods?

Yes, we were "big time".  We would put sides about 12" high on the hay racks
for grain transportation---had what??---maybe 125 bushels??  Of codurse, as
soon as the cousins and I headed out into the world, stupendous things like
gravity boxes started showing up.   WHAT???  You don't have to shovel alla
that stuff??

I do remember bagging and miller's knots (granddad tied em) --but that was
when grinding feed with the belt-driven hammermill...

Gene
Gene Waugh
Elgin, Illinois USA