[AT] Heat treating tractor parts

ROBBRUT at aol.com ROBBRUT at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 18:17:20 PST 2005

Dean-

Since I am in the aerospace industry, I work with these materials constantly.

I also have a small capacity programmable heat treating furnace at home for
my own small parts.

The material you have chosen (4340) is a good general purpose heat treatable
alloy.

I would suggest that 40 Rockwell C is too hard/brittle for your application,
and would shoot for 32-34Rc for a better combination of toughness/tensile
strength.

As to the mode of failure you mentioned, it is exactly what is seen in many
other applications where a load bearing diameter first reduces to a smaller
diameter (by the cut thread).

The design solution is to neck the entire load bearing portion down to a
little under the minor diameter of the threads, that way the entire length of the
rod can flex and twist under load, instead of concentrating all of the those
loads at one location, which quickly fatigues that very localized area with the
resulting quick failure.

Heat treatment of these alloys is done in two stages
The first stage hardens the material to its maximum, but at this
(martensitic) stage it is very brittle.
The second stage (tempering) re-heats the material so that a transformation
to the structure takes place.
There are temperature/time charts used to establish the combination of
hardness/toughness properties you want for most materials.
For 4340, the higher the tempering temperature, the softer the material
becomes.

However at the hardness range I recommended for the material/purpose you
describe I would advise pre-heat treating, since 4340 is very machinable up to RC
38, and not too bad above that up to about RC 42.

-Bruce Thompson