[AT] Heat treating tractor parts

Howard R. Weeks weeksh at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 17 15:52:29 PST 2005

While everyone is on this subject, I have a related question that I would
like some
advice, help, or opinion on.  Have a flail mower for a Cub that uses about
70 or so
L shaped blades on it.  The long part of the L is about 5" and the bottom is
about 1".
They are made of steel that is 1/8" thick and 3/4" wide.  I haven't been
able to find
a source for these so it appears that I must find some stock and make them.
Need about
a dozen but will make more if I have to have any made.

What kind of steel should these things be made of?

The originals appear to have been sharpened on both sides before they were
bent into
the L shape.  I have found some 1/8th x 3/4 bar stock here locally but it
appears to be
relatively soft.  Not sure it would last very long as a blade on that flail
mower.

Thanks!

Howard Weeks
Harlem, GA