[AJD] Rattle Can Paint

Terry & Carolyn Welshans welshans2 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 16:50:00 PST 2005

When I painted this tractor we used DuPont Centauri color 262A.  It is a
dead on match out of the paint chip book that my friend has from the 50's.
The tractor is a working tractor, and the paint has been damaged with chips
and scratches over the last four or five years.

I have tried several brands of rattle-can spray paint, and have not been
happy with the results.  The one brand I have not tried is the JD brand, and
I intend to do so as soon as my model B comes out of winter hibernation.

The Ace Hardware and Farm & Fleet brands look pretty close, but to me in the
long run are not doing the job.  The Ace hardware brand I used on the
carburetor area melts off with gas leaks, as if you were using paint
stripper.  The Farm & Fleet brand, while right on the color of the original
paint, turns "bluish" after being in direct sunlight for a while. And "a
while" is not a long period of time - perhaps a few weeks.

I have been assured that the JD brand will stay on the tractor and not fade.

I had some pretty good chips in my dash that I sprayed with F&F brand paint
last spring that today are not very pretty.  I will mask off much of the
good paint and the lettering on the sides of the hood and try to blend the
dash into the hood.  I have some blistering on the front end that I want to
re-finish and I will sand it down, re-primer and spray as well.

Regards,

Terry Welshans
Homer Glen, Illinois

"Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest. "
Mark Twain (1835-1910)

www.midwestoilburners.org
www.fokisd.org
www.terrystoy.com