[AT] Heat treating tractor parts

Brett Phillips bphillip at shentel.net
Thu Mar 17 06:33:32 PST 2005

Dean:

	Jim has some good questions regarding the design of the shaft.  The nature
of the load may also have some bearing on the material selection.  Is this
an impact load, or more of a constant load?  For an impact type load, you
should look for something that will remain ductile and tough, even after
heat treating (which can be done many ways according to the desired result).
	If you're looking for something more economical than a custom heat
treatment, you might consider something like an AISI 4142 pre-heat-treated
steel.  This material is a 4140 steel alloy which has been stress relieved,
and then heat treated to 28-32 on the Rockwell "C" scale.  This leaves you
with a tough material that can still be machined with common practices, yet
it has a tensile strength of about 150,000 psi, and very good impact
properties.  Compare this with something like AISI C1018 (plain ole cold
rolled squeal, er steel) at about 80,000 psi tensile, or cold rolled 4140 at
~100,000 psi.
Just another option.

Regards,
Brett Phillips