[AT] Heat treating tractor parts

l50bmg at earthlink.net l50bmg at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 06:47:06 PST 2005

Dean;

  You would gain a tremendous amount of tensile strength by heat treating the parts. I was a commercial heat treater  in our family business and 4340 is right on the money for the steel choice. The RC hardness may be a little high depending on the application. How long are the rods? You may run into a problem with them bending during the quenching of the part. Another option would be to use the 1008 LC steel and case harden the parts to a depth of 0.025". You would get the outer toughness with the give of the soft core.  Contact me off list for a heat treater that will do small batches.

Jim Thomson
james.thomson at hexcel.com