[AT] Heat treating tractor parts

CBear81438 at aol.com CBear81438 at aol.com
Wed Mar 16 20:32:57 PST 2005

50100-B or 0170-6 would have some vanadium that would give it a wear
resistance.  The Aisi classification is 50100-B the B stands for  Vanadium.  They are
names for the same steel.  It is a readily  hardenable steel.   You could
probably harden this yourself if you  have access to a ceramics kiln.  Also need
some Stainless wrap to  encase the parts in to prevent oxidation.   I have
made a  few tool & die parts that had to be heat treated.  You could also
consider case hardening them.  The parts are packed in a carbon  containing
material.  Good charcoal will work, then put in a kiln in a  fireproof container and
heated to I forgot how much, then pull out  the parts and drop them in cold
water.  Sometimes do it again to get a real  good case on it.  I did this with
some tooling parts a few years  ago.   Did not sell many of them though...
Used flower  pots for the container and found a good hardwood charcoal.

Cecil in OKla