[AT] Modern Ford hydraulic problem - probably the same as older

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sun Mar 13 18:15:05 PST 2005

I have a problem on my 1984 Ford 4610 that I was hoping someone on the list
could help me on. This is the same basic design as the earlier models I
think. My problem is that the three point hitch is not going up at all.
Below are the symptoms and what I have done about them so far:

1) I replaced the external hydraulic filter and fluid with the replacement
New Holland fluid and filter a while ago.
2) There was water in the hydraulic (transmission case) oil that I removed
as much as possible by draining. The fluid is still milky though.
3) The speed control unit on the side of the tractor is not adjustable at
this time. I had freed it up and it does not have a handle on it.
4) I looked in the transmission while the tractor was running and saw that
the fluid was cascading from the front of the transmission just under the
top cover of the case. Is this normal?

I am looking for help on this as I know the New Holland dealer mechanic is
both expensive (given my poverty stricken finances at the moment) and booked
up. I am very handy with hydraulics in general, but have not spent the money
on the manuals on this tractor yet. Anyone have a set of 4610/6610 service
manuals cheap???
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California
p.s. I need to have this running so I can plant potatoes with my Oliver
77.....