[AJD] JD Piston Ring Exchange

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Mar 13 11:48:15 PST 2005

I've started listing some of the broken JD ring sets I have accumulated over
the years, in hopes of providing help to those who need a ring or two to
fill out a set or to replace one that got inadvertently broken during
installation. I have much more work to do to get a readable format that is
useful but over time I should get there.

The question I have is: How does one properly measure the rings to determine
actual intended diameter? I'm only referring to those that need to be
verified if in a marked box or those whose identification may have gotten
lost. I guess the critical ones would be those that are std vs 0.045" over
or something similar like that. Does one assume a nominal ring gap or how
would one determine what specific size they are?

I probably have 15 to 20 or so boxes of NOS rings here that may be missing
only one ring, some maybe only a half set, so surely there is a way to make
these useable by someone in need. Maybe if we combine our hordes some whole
sets can be made. Hate to throw anything away!  :-)

I've tentatively called this project the "JD Piston Ring Exchange" and have
started a listing on my web site but it isn't formatted correctly yet for
ease of use:

http://www.deerelegacy.com/Piston%20Ring%20Exchange.htm

At one time I was thinking that maybe if we all listed our broken ring sets
in a common place, with name and contact information, it would make the list
of available rings more valuable to others. But anyway, looking for
suggestions to improve this project.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door