[Steam-engine] Wachs packing gland question

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Sat Mar 12 09:05:40 PST 2005

Howdy all;
Well the stationary Wachs is coming along fine and waiting for a nice day to
do some outside blasting.  Machinist friend, Corky has built some fine
replacement rods and such and the cast welding repairs are done.  We're
having a good time.

  Now for the big question.  Ya'll know that the piston rod is sealed with a
packing gland and packing.  This piston rod (steel) goes up and down through
the packing gland (cast) and it's not all that loose of fit.  I'm thinking
of having Corky install a brass bushing (not OEM) so the piston rod doesn't
get scored.

Whatcha think..would it hurt to do so?

TIA
RickinMT.