[AJD] INFO- Speed Hour Meters

Eric LaCruze elacruze at comcast.net
Sat Mar 12 05:48:29 PST 2005

I'll take a kick at this dead horse too.

My kid calls me the Word Nazi, because I'm always picking at her speech.
Communication is one of my high interest areas and this thread/item
illustrates perfectly why clear communication is important.

Analysis; my word fetish would never allow me to entertain the
possibility that these are NOS because the description contains these terms-

REPLACEMENT PARTS
WOULD HAVE LEFT THE FACTORY WITH
EXACT REPLACEMENT
THIS TACH SUBS TO
LIKE THE ORIGINAL

In the absence of any other content not specifically stating that the
item is NOS or OEM, there is no logical conclusion but that these are
similar, perhaps exact replacements but not actual OEM parts.

In the real world of communication, words are only a minor portion.
People naturally and always attempt to divine intent from context, body
language, culture, etc. though in this case additional communication
vehicles are limited by the venue-obviously no body language is
available through the computer. Still we assume intent beyond words
through the style of writing; syntax, punctuation, sentence
construction. The problem with that is the lack of context-we don't have
real experience over time communicating with an individual, so our
assumptions and experience with others have weight where it is not
appropriate. In the light of imperfect communication, I'll present the
counter-argument.

NEW!  AA6572R JOHN DEERE TACHOMETER
HAS NOT BEEN AVAILABLE SINCE 1959
WOULD HAVE LEFT THE FACTORY WITH
ORIGINAL AA6572R DIAL

These statements are very poor indicators because they all have the
implication that the parts are OEM-however, an implication requires an
assumption and you know what that means. Read in the light of the first
set of statements above which are absolute rather than implicit, the
logical conclusion remains that they are not OEM parts.

The bottom line for me is that had I been asked what I thought of that
description before it was used, I'd have predicted the misunderstandings
  and discussion which killed the horse I'm now kicking.

</academic rant off>

I think my foot's stuck.

Eric

 > Dean VP wrote:

 > Greg:
 >
 > They are Stewart Warner Tachometers not Borg Warner, my mistake.
This is my