[AT] Q. for JD "experts"--or anyone.

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Fri Mar 11 04:21:33 PST 2005

That reminds me of something a mechanic friend of mine told me a few years
ago.  He, at the time, worked for a Buick-Cadillac dealer.

If you remember the old 5.7 litre motor that GM converted into a poor excuse
for a diesel it had a lot of problems with head gaskets.
My friend told me that when folks had bubbling and foaming in the cooling
system of those engines that everyone just assumed the head gaskets were
gone.  He said that wasn't necessarily true that a lot of them just had
stopped up cooling systems.  He said that rust or whatever would accumulate
in congested spots in the water jacket.  That would create a hot spot and
the coolant in that area would  get trapped, not circulate properly and boil
creating air bubbles.  The whole engine was not running hot, just one or
more small "hot spots".  He said a good engine flush would often solve the
problem.

I can't confirm that but it makes sense and seems to agree with what you
said about the tractor you worked on.

Charlie